[sf-lug] Firefox 77.0.1 rejects sendgrid URLs.

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 12 02:25:34 PDT 2020

And ... back to on-list ...

> From: "Bobbie Sellers" <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Firefox 77.0.1 rejects sendgrid URLs.
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 13:58:35 -0700

> On 6/10/20 10:13 PM, Michael Paoli wrote:
>> So, perhaps it's an issue with sengrid.net., and not at all specifically
>> Firefox?
>> Any way to figure out? ... yes, many.  In general, do logical
>> divide and conquer.  E.g. try to split the problem roughly
>> in half, test each half.  Repeat as needed for any portion
>> that fails.
>> So ... did you try other ways to connect?  Did you try other
>> browsers/clients?
>> Did you try from other source IPs/locations?
>> Did you try at other days/times?
>> And the results were?  ... what?
>
>     They continue to be the same rejection.

Uh, that really doesn't provide much additional useful information.
"they" and "same rejection" isn't very detailed.
Would be much more useful to know exactly what was tried,
and exactly what the results were - e.g. precise URLs,
text, etc.
Likewise all the suggested bits to isolate the problem,
I see in this email zero indication that any of that or the like was
so much as attempted.

> From: "Bobbie Sellers" <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Firefox 77.0.1 rejects sendgrid URLs.
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 14:01:16 -0700

>     I did with the same results.  I am able to reach sendgrid
> without problems by
> search but the attempt to follow through on some petitions is always blocked.

Again, likewise, provides little additional useful information to
troubleshoot and isolate the issue.  Did *what* exactly, and exactly
*what* "same results".  And again, what about other logical
troubleshooting/isolation steps and results.

There are many components and variables involved.  Try to
logically isolate what is - and is not - at fault.

Computer uses operating system, uses browser/client,
generally uses DNS to resolve domain/host to IP address(es),
attempts to connect,
if https, attempts secure handshake/connection,
attempts to request content,
awaits response and reports or times out.
A whole lot of components there.  Many can be tried
by substituting or using other components/tools to check
various pieces along the way.
Doing the same thing over and over with no attempts to
reasonably isolate and troubleshoot, provides essentially no
new information, and nothing by which to make forward progress
on isolating and correcting the problem(s).

Maybe do some searches on The Internet, about how to troubleshoot
and isolate issues with browser getting to certain URL(s).
Basic DNS and networking skills/tests would also be useful.
Likewise use of other clients such as curl, wget, etc.,
also useful.