[sf-lug] SF-LUG jitzi meeting...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 7 22:59:55 PDT 2020

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Hi LUGers,

Yo!

> jitzi meeting...

'Jitsi Meet meeting'

> [I hope] I will figure out what is wrong and get this Dell E7450
> booting from the internal Hard Drive so that I can figure out
> the issues with the camera under PCLinux.

At nearly any civilised time in the future (that is convenient to you),
please feel welcome to telephone me at 650-283-7902 (cellular), and
I'd be glad to hang out with you on both telephone and a 'scratch'
Jitsi Meet room, say, for example, https://meet.jit.si/bliss , while
you figure out how to enable your speaker/microphone/videocam for
purposes of the Web.

Mind you, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you what if anything is
wrong with your chosen distro or computer hardware, _but_ I can give you
the service of confirming to you that I can see and hear you on Jitsi
Meet and that you can see and hear me.  A couple of weeks ago, I did
this with Alex Kleider, and it worked rather well.  (Of course, I always
enjoy chatting with Alex at any time.)

Anyway, glad to help you out, when you're ready for that.

FWIW, in my experience, if a distro/computer setup can do Zoom, then it
can do Jitsi Meet -- and vice-versa.  Pretty nearly the only thing
distinctive about client-end problems for Jitsi Meet is that your
browser must have permission to talk to your videocam and microphone,
e.g., for Chromium, the site must have been added by you to Preferences
-> Advanced -> Microphone -> Allow and to Preferences -> Advanced ->
Camera -> Allow.

As further detail on that, when you visit the Jitsi Meet URL for the
first time in Chromium (or Google Chrome, which is basically Chromium
plus some proprietary junk), you should see a dialogue saying

     [url] wants to
     * use your microphone
     o use your camera
                 [ block ]  [ allow ]

You should, of course, choose the 'allow' button, which adds the site to
the aforementioned allow rosters.

Oh, and you should take care to use Chromium (or Google Chrome), rather
than some other Web browser.  Yes, some people are able to make various
versions of Firefox work, but since you're already having difficulties,
you should reduce the causes of problems.

BTW, it's my understanding that you can do some solo troubleshooting
using Web site 'test.webrtc.org'.  It seems like a competent test of the
underlying WebRTC open-standard protocols that Jitsi Meet relies on, and
produces a written report on how well your system is doing (and with
what problem areas), within a few minutes.

> It looked like the meeting was very well attended and I hope some of
> the people with a better connection than I was able to establish can
> tell us what happened.

Schmoozing.  ;->