[sf-lug] Debian install without a desktop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 16 18:10:39 PDT 2020

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> Also learned that the command 'shutdown' no longer exists, instead:
> systemctl poweroff | reboot

On a traditional Linux system, /sbin/shutdown is provided by SysVInit as
an additional hard link to the init(1) binary, and on Debian the
SysVInit implementation is provided by package sysvinit-core.

There are a number of other init systems packaged by Debian that also
furnish /sbin/shutdown, including packages systemd-sysv (optional
geegaws for systemd) and runit-init (the optional system init facility
for runit).  The OpenRC package ('openrc') furnishes
/sbin/openrc-shutdown .  I don't know why that package doesn't furnish
/sbin/shutdown, but I'll bet you can just furnish the obvious hard link
and it'd Just Work[tm].

So, anyway, if you want /sbin/shutdown, there are two obvious ways to
get it:

1.  Install package systemd-sysv.  I gather that the current
    Debian installer omits it by default.  (Note that the systemd
    init system is furnished by Debian package 'systemd'.)

2.  Get rid of systemd and install a different init system,
    preferably one of the Debian-packaged ones.
    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/openrc-conversion.html#3