[sf-lug] Laptop computer(s) and its/their so-called 'root' password(s)

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Sep 26 08:49:34 PDT 2019

On 9/26/19 8:19 AM, aaronco36 wrote:
> Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote at [1]:
>
>> Is the root password set?
>> If it is do you have it available to buyers?
>
> Is it possible that Bobbie S really meant _BIOS_ password(s) set
> instead of _root_ password?

     As I had replied to Michael meaning to send to the list and now
have corrected that problem.
     You of course have penetrated my am foggy-mindedness and since you
had not seen my reply
nor had I recieved a copy I went to my Sent folder and corrected the
address.

> Main reason for asking is that its absolutely not uncommon that
> companies and individuals will lockdown their laptops in order that
> other individuals won't just come along and boot from some unknown USB
> stick or optical media to install another OS or to hack/change
> settings in the current OS (live booting).

     Actually I blame the ITs who yank hard drives from their obsoleted
machine without wiping out the BIOS password.
     It can be difficult to setup a machine set to do other things than
boot from any connected bootable drive.
     The Dell E6420 machines have a very resilient BIOS/Firmware
password and unless someone has that BIOS password
the settings cannot be altered.  This can be very inconvenient for the
user of second hand machines.