[sf-lug] Backups and such (was Re: South African Linux sites experiencing Ransomware attacks.)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 12 20:17:35 PDT 2019

Nowadays, my generally recommendation for most any typical
"home" type environment - backup to drive(s) - be they spinning rust
and/or SSD.  USB "thumb" drives and optical media - too slow and/or
unreliable, and not cost effective (especially at moderate to larger
scales).  Interface?  If one can do it with [e]SATA that would
typically be best, though USB - especially >=3 / SuperSpeed is
mostly "quite good enough" for backup(/restore) purposes
(however many would well argue not to use general active OS
filesystem storage over USB interface).

For *much* larger environments, magnetic tape may still make sense.
I know for quite a while I used mag tape (... QIC (with decicated
controller - SCSI also good/okay, not that "floppy controller"
based goop), DDS/DDS[234...?].  But eventually such no longer made
economic sense for smaller scales.  E.g. a good quality tape drive
to reasonably back up TBs of data will cost typically thousands of
dollars.  Most of us don't do enough "home" environment backups for
that to start to make economic sense.

So, personally ... I do "full" backups - nominally about monthly,
that get rotated off-site.  And often more frequent lesser
backups (on-site and/or less than full).  I also do *multiple*
backups.  My rule-of-thumb - at any given point in time, at absolute
minimum, there should be two complete full sets of off-site backups.
That generally means at least 3 such sets of media (drive or drives).
That way, even when one set is on-site, there's still at least two
full sets off-site - that includes all the stated and points in time
of any rotations.  Never less than 2 full sets off-site.  And, ... why?
Murphy.  Backups/media fail.  Disaster may strike when backup
media is on-site as part of a backup/rotation.  And if one's risk
tolerance is low, more sets of backup media, and additional off-site
location(s).  Disk is pretty cheap these days.  How much is all your
data worth to you? ... or if it went bye-bye, how much would you have
been willing to invest to not have had it go bye-bye?

And ... test - periodically test backups.  As if oft said, it's not
the backups that matter, but the restores - if you can't restore, your
backups don't much matter.  So do at least "enough" testing once in
a while ... I typically recommend at least enough statistical restore
testing to give one sufficient confidence in being able to restore,
relative to one's risk tolerance level.