[sf-lug] Linux Pro Magazine Issue 226 September 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Sep 11 14:28:15 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,
     Managed to pick this up on Tuesday afternoon 09/10/2019 from Fog
City News
near Market and 1st Street in San Francisco.

Linux Pro Magazine Issue 226 September 2019
This is what I got from the front cover plus some notes.

Distributions of the Month are both 64-bit.
Manjaro Gnome Linux 18.0.4,  MX Linux 18.3

IoT tricks - Indoor climate control with MQTT

Spotlight on Small Distros  covers Porteus, Puppy Linux, Slax, SliTaz,
Tiny Core and Tiny Core Plus
Chose the best small-footprint Linux for your environment

Nftable -exploring the new Linux firewall tool
Programming Snapshot - GO testing - with code listings.

Secure your LibreOffice PDFs
Wikit - Wikipedia from the command line
Network Sleuth - searching for problems with ARP

Timeshift - Create and manage system snapshots
(I have recently begun to use this tool.)

LINUX VOICE
• Scribus:  Free desktop publishing
• Puppy Linux: Bionic Pup
• maddog on (the) FreedomBox - very small personal server using Debian
software
on a variety of inexpensive SBCs.   Not to be confused with the TV
FreedomBox.

FOSSPicks
• Pick colors with Pick
• Name Generator
• Heaptrack - memory usage

Tutorials
• WordPress 5
• 3D Print Tools  - Central is having a small sale on 3D printers by the
way.

     And much more, including Maker Space, and Charly's Column on
managing multiple systems at home.
     Also slightly old news that is of some interest to me at least.

     later
     Bobbie Sellers