[sf-lug] DNS slaves wanted (was: Re: Got domains? (sf-lug.{net, com} ...?) ... DNS slaves ...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 10 01:05:27 PDT 2019

Rick - thanks - alas, would like to get some additional on these:
FQDN=balug.org. authority:
balug.org.              86400   IN      NS      ns1.balug.org.
balug.org.              86400   IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
balug.org.              86400   IN      NS      ns1.svlug.org.
balug.org.              86400   IN      NS      puck.nether.net.
FQDN=berkeleylug.com. authority:
berkeleylug.com.        172800  IN      NS      ns0.berkeleylug.com.
berkeleylug.com.        172800  IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
berkeleylug.com.        172800  IN      NS      ns1.svlug.org.
berkeleylug.com.        172800  IN      NS      puck.nether.net.
FQDN=berkeleylug.org. authority:
berkeleylug.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns0.berkeleylug.org.
berkeleylug.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
berkeleylug.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns1.svlug.org.
berkeleylug.org.        86400   IN      NS      puck.nether.net.

Can/could - "temporarily" drop those domains to 3 NS servers.
But having 4 or 5 (or max of about 7) nameservers would be preferable.

I may ask on other (more) relevant LUG list(s) too ... but I'll probably
wait a bit, see what response(s) I get from this first.
And yes, I know, he.net also offers free DNS slave services ... believe I
may have had similar issue(s) there and/or other issues.  I'd been
using them before - on at least some stuff - no longer have 'em
on anything of mine or that I manage DNS for ... and probably with
good reason(s) - though I don't recall the specific(s).

And yes, among NS servers I presently use (including slaves), I believe
puck.nether.net is the only one that's quite untimely about updating
when NOTIFY is sent (it likely ignores - seems to typically take
somewhere in the range of 5 to 10 minutes or more to update ... quite
the pain when one has a fair handful of records to add, and needs to
complete and verify each before proceeding to next record).