[sf-lug] Trying to be secure but the ISP knocked down my plans

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sat Aug 31 14:35:47 PDT 2019

On 8/31/19 12:35 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>      So why did DSLExtreme do this?
>>      Well back in May AT&T began to phase out analog DSL service.
> FWIW, there is no such thing as analog DSL service.  That's a
> contradiction in terms.  The 'D' in 'DSL' stands for digital.
         Old fashioned DSL then.  I thought analog sounded odd but someone
used the term and it stuck in my useless head.

> The real story, judging by the reference 2012 DSLreports news item,
> appears to be that AT&T is phasing out DSL (not 'analog DSL') service in
> favour of some U-Verse-branded alternative -- maybe the ADSL2+-based
> offering.  Problem is that the news item is now out of date.  For one
> thing, AT&T dropped the brand name U-Verse some years ago.  What they're
> really flogging at the moment is their Fios (Fiber Optic Service)
> product, which is currently branded as 'AT&T Fiber'.
>
> FWIW, since 'U-Verse' was a marketing term, it never mapped clearly to
> one specific type of service, i.e., in technical discussion one was well
> advised to be more specific than that.
>
>> I am stuck with this service for a year. due to contract but next July
>> will be looking to find a provider that will let me use my modem and
>> my router or offer that combination of  separate modem and router
> I'm still quite fond of my plain ol' ADSL residential serice from Mike
> Durkin's firm Raw Bandwidth Communications.

     Well I have pointed out both your suggestion and Alex's to the party in
question.

     Hope I can remember the suggestions next year and switch to a
less monopolistic provider with my own access modem and router.

     Bobbie Sellers