[sf-lug] Trying to be secure but the ISP knocked down my plans

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 30 23:29:31 PDT 2019

On 8/28/19 8:57 PM,  I wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     After the last problem I had with a combined modem router

> the DSLExtreme ISP forced another one onto me.   I could not get out
> of the
> replacement of my modem and router with an ATT Arris NVG589.
>     I was informed that the install required my presence and it did.
> But the time given was 9am -11am and the AT&T technician, an

> amiable enough fellow, showed up at 11 just after I had called

> DSLExtreme to find out how much longer I should stick around.

> I had other things
> to do than wait on this guy today but instead of leaving early and
> taking care of business I was stuck until after 2 PM. I had to move
> a ton of my stuff to get access to the telephone jack which the tech
> declared was using the 1916 wiring which is funny since it was installed
> during the last 40 years of my residence.   The new connection is

> dangling thru the space under a window with connectors hanging out
> behind the device which was obviously designed to fit flush against
> the wall but there is cement and a window sill where a nice place
> would have a less solid wall.
>
>     So with the new modem router is there anything I can do
> to provide extra security?  Yes I looked at the manuals for this
> model which I eventually will have to print out as the .pdfs will
> not download.  They do not seem to allow the password to be
> changed.
>
>     I even managed to get the WiFi working here on my production
> machine.  Bad news is that to get back to my wired connection I had
> to shut down the Wireless in the BIOS/Firmware and reboot too many times.
>            ==========================
>
>     DSLExtreme besides forcing me to upgrade and lease a modem
> has informed another member that she will no longer have service
> shortly.  She lives in Brisbane and if anyone reading this note
> is aware of ISP service in that area, let me know and I will be
> sure she gets the information.

     So why did DSLExtreme do this?

     Well back in May AT&T began to phase out analog DSL service.
And if the customer wanted to continue DSL service they had to
upgrade to UVerse.  I think they had a lot of the these Uverse
modem/routers and were not usng them up fast enough as
people decided to go to other providers.  So they took analog
DSL from private customers first it seems, then forced independent
ISPs, (such as DSLExtreme) to switch.

         So AT&T modem/router installed by an AT$T technician.
Do you think this was forced down DSLExtreme.com's metaphorical
throat by AT&T to get that $6 a month lease on the modem router?
       So I looked it up and AT&T is forcing the change.by forcing all
the resellers and private AT&T DSL customer to upgrade to the UVerse
<http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Forcing-DSL-Users-to-Upgrade-to-UVerse-119733>

     I have no idea whether or not this is actually a good durable
modem/router  but still would prefer to use my own equipment.
But that is what AT&T don't allow.   I am stuck with this service for
a year. due to contract but next July will be looking to find
a provider that will let me use my modem and my router
or offer that combination of  separate modem and router

     Bobbie Sellers