[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday August 4, 2019 at the Cafe Enchante...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 29 12:07:32 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

   If you have a problem come along and maybe we can
help but if not we can usually find someone who can.

     Distributions added since the last meeting, all have been
check-summed. Some will be put on Flash Drives and others
only if you request a copy.

     Deepin-15.11_amd64.iso about 2.3 GB

     Slackel-live647.2-OpenBox.iso about 1.5 GB
Log in with username "root" and password "live" or username "one" and
password "one".

     PCLinuxOS64-kde5_2019.07. iso
     PCLinuxOS64-kde5-darkstar_2019.07.iso
     PCLinuxOS64-MATE_2019.07
     All the PCLinuxOS releases are live and boot as root to do
installs.  The Mate and KDE Plasma 5 run to about 2.3 GB
as a new form of compression has been employed to allow
faster booting.
"darkstar" is setup as the smallest with KDE 5 at 932 Megabytes.

     In addition we have Mageia 7.1 after downloading as much of Mageia 7
as the LUG might need we got Mageia 7.1 so that support for the
Ryzen 3000 would be supplied.  Not sure as I write how much of
the systems I will have as I spent a lot of time downloading the
Mageia 7 iso files.
     so far it looks like this
Mageia-7.1-netinstall-nonfree-i586.iso
Mageia-7.1-netinstall-nonfree-x86_64.iso
Mageia-7.1-Live-Plasma-x86_64.iso
Mageia-7.1-x86_64.iso Install oly with 3 Desktop Environment.
Mageia-7.1-i586.iso
   Getting the i586 install was quite a hassle as the connection failed
and I had to start again this am.  The Live i586 with xfce should
not be so exacting.
The Live versions run to about 2.3 GB the Installs to 4.2 GB and
the Net-Installs to 80+ Megabytes.
If you want to try out any particular distro let me know asap.

     Check Distrowatch's weekly newsletter this week for review
of the Endless OS which MS should buy as the repayment scheme
is right up their alley.
     Also a review of installing UBPorts on a Nexus 5 phone is very
good.
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190729>

     At the previous meeting my demonstration of Whonix running atop
Virtual Box
was marred by my inability to get my Dell E6520 online via the Cafe
Enchante WiFi.
Ken Schaffer has been helping me via email with this problem.   I have
worked on
my home router configuration until I am dizzy but am going to give it
one more
try before I buy a new router or a new network card for the Dell.
     Now I have to spend some time updating my Dell E6520 as lots of stuff
has been coming down the PCLinux pipe.

     Hope to see a some of us on Sunday, August 4 at the Cafe.

     Bobbie Sellers