[sf-lug] My latest NUC adventure

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Jul 18 19:53:00 PDT 2019

On 7/18/19 5:03 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Rick Moen writes:
>> Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):
>>> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95443/intel-core-i5-7200u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz.html
>>> are these the only flags I need to look for?
>>>    Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x)
>>>    Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
>>    Boot a Linux live CD, then check the CPU flags line in /proc/cpuinfo.
> I'll be mail ordering. I doubt there's a store in the whole state
> of NM that has these machines in stock, though since I have to be in
> Albuquerque on Saturday I'm going to check some stores there just
> in case (thanks for the reminder to have a live boot USB in my pocket).
>
>>    We're checking for two things:  (1) x86_64 support.  (2) virtualisation
>>    support.
>>
>>    The virtualisation information won't be accurate unless your kernel
>>    revision is at least 2.6.15 for Intel CPUs,or 2.6.16 for AMD ones.
>>
>>    o  Flag "lm" (long mode" proves that the CPU is x86_64-capable.
>>    o  Flag "vmx" on Intel CPUs or "svm" on AMD CPus proves full
>>    virtualisation.
>>
>>    Full hardware support for (Xen, KVM) virtualisation requires that the
>>    CPU support the "VT" instruction extensions on Intel, or the equivalent
>>    "SVM" (aka "AMD-V") extensions on AMD.
> That Intel page shows VT-x and "Intel 64" (I'm fairly confident
> all the processors in the machines I'm considering will be 64-bit
> capable), but I don't see anything that looks like VMX. Is that
> different from VT-x? If so, is there a way to find out without
> having access to a running machine? And do I not care about VT-d?
>
>> One of the reasons I am a bit wary of Dell is that, when you least
>> expect it, they switch a key component to a problematic and usually
> Yeah. Dell used to be especially bad for that, but I thought they'd
> gotten better. I guess not.
>
>> Anyway, there's really no substitute for test-booting the specific unit
>> you hope to buy on a live distro, and running 'lspci', etc., to make
>> sure about the chipsets.
> Wistful sigh ... I wish. I'm especially bothered that I can't
> compare the keyboards beforehand, but that's life if I want to be
> picky about laptops and not just take whatever Best Buy happens to
> be pushing.
>
>> Where that page is 'gone', it's gone because the individual who created
>> and hosted it ceased using that hosting or moved/renamed the page and
>> neither updated the www.linux-on-laptops.com entry nor made sure the old
>> URL had an HTTP 302 referral handler.
> Oh, certainly. I'm not blaming linux-on-laptops.com for the 404s!
> Just noting that nobody seems to be adding links there any more, so
> most links there are ancient and crumbling.
>
>>> In theory I like the idea of buying from vendors that support Linux.
>> Call me a cynic, but I greatly question what 'support' means in this
>> context.   (In IT, the term 'support' has decades of history having
>> vague and doubtful meaning, generally.)

> [...]
     Have you tried looking at the Office Depot/Office Max advertisements?
<https://officedepot.shoplocal.com/officedepotsd/weeklyad?action=entryflash&SiteID=145&PretailerID=-99860&CityStateZip=&odserver=www.officedepot.com&storeid=2504187#!/promotion?storeid=2504187&languageid=1&pagenumber=1&mode=single>

     There is one inexpensive 11.6 inch device using a Pentium.

*Bobbie Sellers*