[sf-lug] My latest NUC adventure, VM-fu

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Thu Jul 18 08:33:31 PDT 2019

Ken Shaffer <kenshaffer80 at gmail.com> wrote in [1]:
> Hmmmm, reading my notes, a thought occurred to me: If Windows lets
> you in once, copy the vm before running, and only run a fresh copy
> each time.  Every time is now the first time, so no activation needed!
> Didn't try that thought.;
> ^) Ken

As a related FYI, the Easy Linux Tips Project describes a method of 'How
to install a free legal Windows in VirtualBox' [2] intended as a Windows 7
VM guest to run under Linux Mint or Ubuntu hosts, although I'm sure that
most other distros, e.g., Ubuntu-based and non-Ubuntu Debian-based distro
hosts enable the exact same thing.
Following the initial activation of that "free legal" VM with Windows 7
Enterprise (IE11 on Win7) guest,
~~~~~~~~~~~~ quoting [2] ~~~~~~~~~~~~
you can extend the activation five times (unfortunately, these activation
extensions aren't possible for the VM's with Windows 8.x and 10!). So you
can use the Windows 7 VM legally for 6 x 90 = 540 days in total. The
how-to for extending the activation ("re-arm") is written on the wallpaper
of Windows 7.

After those 540 days you can simply delete the existing VM and import a
new clean VM, which should give you another 540 days

Users setting up such a Windows 7 VM under a Linux host may possibly not
even _require_ either the maximum number of activation extensions or
re-importing "new clean" VMs, given that Microsoft's support for Windows 7
is officially ending less than a half-year from now [3].

-A