[sf-lug] My latest NUC adventure

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jul 17 07:59:10 PDT 2019

Rick, thanks for the info about the VMware vCenter Converter. I'll
definitely try that, assuming I actually get this hypothetical new
laptop.

Ken Shaffer writes:
> Hmmmm, reading my notes, a thought occurred to me:  If Windows lets
> you in once, copy the vm before running, and only run a fresh copy
> each time.  Every time is now the first time, so no activation needed!
>  Didn't try that thought.;^)

It doesn't ask for activation the first time? Though that might
be just if it's running off its original disk, and might not be
true when running in a VM.

But I definitely hope to copy the disk (both with VMWare and as
a raw disk image) before booting Windows, if I can. Which will
probably require some fast fingers and prior research on how to get
into the BIOS, since a lot of laptops won't boot from USB by default.

Of course, I'll report back if I actually try this. First I have to
find a laptop. (If anyone has opinions on lightweight 11-13"
laptops that work well with Linux, I'm all ears. Ideally with long
battery life, bright (but need not be super high res) screens, HDMI
port, removable battery, matte screen, good keyboard, and enough
grunt to compile Firefox without a thermal shutdown.)

        ...Akkana