[sf-lug] My latest NUC adventure

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 15 22:30:43 PDT 2019

Quoting John Strazzarino (jstrazza at yahoo.com):

> My NUC seemed to be in the slow side, so I replaced the rotating media
> with an SSD of the same size 512 GB.  Wow, what a speed difference!

I know!  Isn't it incredible?  I've been advising people for a decade
that it's the next thing to do (typically) after maxing out the RAM, and
makes a huge difference.

> I installed windows/10 and it run like a champ.  (Sorry guys).  Since
> I had trouble with pclinuxos64, I decided to install Zorin 12.4.  It
> also runs like a champ.  I am having a trivial issue with the boot
> menu, but it is not a big deal.

So, here's a suggestion:  Now would be a really, really good time to
make sure you understand completely, and document off-system for your
future reference, the booting chain you've established for both OSes.

If you don't understand that booting chain, then IMO _that_ would be the
first problem to solve, then documenting it.

I'm guessing that you went for dual-booting yet again, which has the
inherent disadvantage of entailing a complex and accident-prone boot
setup -- as IMO you found out last time -- and also inherently prevents
you from using both OSes concurrently.

IMO, it would be (adequacy of RAM permitting) a lot smarter to first
install a base OS using the entire mass storage -- which IMO ought to be
a Linux distro that will serve as your primary environment -- and then
install any additional OSes as VM 'guest' OSes using a hypervisor layer
such as VirtualBox.

In that configuration, you enjoy a simple and unproblematic boot setup,
you are able to use the OSes concurrently for the first time, and
neither OS can screw up the other.  (Also, it's very unlikely that
Bobbie would break your system again.  ;->  )

Honestly, isn't that a whole lot better than dual-booting?  I really
don't understand why so many people do the latter when it leads to
problems such as you encountered, and in particular I'm just a bit
puzzled that you (I gather) did it again after what happened last time.