[sf-lug] decay process: Re: Wither sf-lug.com?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 3 03:45:05 PDT 2019

And then the can of SPAM, nailed to the wall - over time, decay and
decomposition processes of the various proteins and amino acids will
also produce the aromatic and aptly named chemicals, putricine and
cadaverine.
Oh, sorry, that's the answer to *another* decay process.

sf-lug.com ... does vary somewhat by TLD and registrar,
but the basics:
http://archive.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.jpg
(most) all bets are off after expiration, e.g. registrar
may drop it from DNS immediately, or at any point, may work towards
auctioning it off (or that may come later), (effectively) hold it
ransom, or ... "whatever" (within some limits).

There's an Auto-Renew Grace Period.  Time varies by TLD and/or registrar,
in that time typically can be renewed/reinstated at same/standard
renewal price (but generally kiss "deals"/negotiations bye-bye, as it's
now their way, or the highway).  Many registrars restrict that to only
allowing registrant to renew.  Some don't - looks like Joker.com doesn't
restrict that and anyone can still renew it - without even creating an
account ... but with that (simple) renewal, can't change anything else on the
account (ownerships, settings, etc.).
https://joker.com/faq/content/10/89/en/who-is-able-to-renew-a-domain.html
https://joker.com/?mode=simple_renewal
Looks like for com TLD on Joker.com registrar, that's 30 days
https://joker.com/faq/content/52/462/en/what-is-a-domain-name_s-life-cycle.html

Then there's Redemption Grace Period
Looks like for com TLD on Joker.com registrar, that's 30 days
https://joker.com/faq/content/52/462/en/what-is-a-domain-name_s-life-cycle.html
Recovery is possible, but needs to be done by registrant, and is pricy ...
https://joker.com/faq/content/10/151/en/what-is-a-_redemption-grace-period_-rgp.html
https://joker.com/?mode=page&page=pricing
67.25 EUR or other(s) might snap it up along the way.

Then Pending Delete - for 5 days - too late to renew/recover.
6th day after deletion, domain is released - looks like precise timing
within the day is randomized.

Oh, yeah, presuming sf-lug.com marches along the way to bye-bye,
somewhere along the way I'll drop it from balug's infrastructure (the
VM where it's hosted), and I may be quite disinclined to readd it (we've
been through this enough times already).

Who knows, perhaps sf-lug.com can have an "exciting" future,
like that of systemateka.com (NSFW) ... whee!