[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday April 7, 2019 date error corrected/

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 10 10:07:53 PDT 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>>> Michael the Slackware user is a little out of joint as Slackware is
>>> going away.
>>
>> What's your source for this, Bobbie?  I find no announcement or news
>> item suggesting that, and, e.g., the x86_64 branch got about ten package
>> updates today, alone, according to the online Changelog.
>
> Michael himself I believe.
> And he generally does not read the mailing list

So, the responsible way of saying would have been 'Michael the
Slackware user is a little out of joint, as he thinks Slackware is going
away.'

Or, better yet, you who read Distrowatch and certainly should have
suspected misinformation, could have double-checked before repeating
something probably without foundation.  And maybe after spending two
minutes checking, you could have added '...he thinks Slackware is going
away (but I checked, and don't find any evidence of this.)

> Who can tell...

You, for one.

> probably nothing at all but rumors abound in the Linux information
> sphere.

Actually, good information abounds in the Linux information sphere,
that makes it easy to counteract misinformation and mistakes.  All you
need to do is care about being credible.