[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday April 7, 2019 date error corrected/

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Apr 10 07:59:25 PDT 2019

On 4/9/19 10:51 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> Michael the Slackware user is a little out of joint as Slackware is
>> going away.
> What's your source for this, Bobbie?  I find no announcement or news
> item suggesting that, and, e.g., the x86_64 branch got about ten package
> updates today, alone, according to the online Changelog.

     Michael himself I believe.
     And he generally does not read the mailing list

> So, who says it's going away, and what does 'going away' mean
> specifically?

         Who can tell...  probably nothing at all but rumors abound in
the Linux information sphere.

     I read an opinion piece that said tht the Linux Desktop was
doomed.  Doomed to remaining
a niche as the big Linux companies moved in other directions and
neglected the desktop.
The writer seemed to have never heard of a lot of the development groups
and said
that most non-large distros had a short lifetime of 5-7 years.
     So he has never heard of PCLinuxOS which has been around now as an
independent
standalone distribution for over 13 years.  Well I live in a niche so it
fits me very well.

     Someone at the meeting brought up the small distribution Slax which
had converted from
being based in Slack to a Debian base.  The name should have been changed
     But we have small contenders that use quite a variety of desktops
in Porteus and which
are based in Slackware.

     Bobbie Sellers - my nose is quite athletic, it runs in all weathers
but stopped
during our smoky summer of 2018.