[sf-lug] SFLUG.org

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 9 01:09:48 PDT 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] SFLUG.org
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 22:31:56 -0700

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> Yes, true, no "there" there.  And, ... if we (me, & you Rick), had sat
>> back and waited (at least some longer while), ... might someone else
>> have braved checking and more-or-less reporting that they'd found same?
>
> My bad.

No problem.  I was (beyond?) subtle in my hint/expectation(/hope?).

> At least part of it can, ISTR, be done even by MS-Windows users without
> installing any additional tools, in the sense that MS-Windows bundles an
> nslookup.exe utility.

Yes, true, and too, many such more-or-less on-line tools can be
found on 'da Interwebs too ... though how much of what functionality
does vary quite a bit among such.

> Getting dig, host, and whois for MS-Windows is a free-of-charge
> download.  https://websistent.com/dig-command-on-windows-os/

Good to know.  Though, unfortunately, not everyone necessarily has
(access to) a computer they can install software onto.  8-O  :-/

> Macintosh OS X (and any other *ix) comes with these as native tools.

True that, though vintage/completeness varies - depending again what
one has access to.  Though just about anything not absurdly ancient,
will typically have enough to determine if a domain has more-or-less
any DNS data associated with it, or even delegated.  Of course older
tools will lack newer capabilities (e.g. like evaluating DNSSEC,
understanding newer record types, etc.).