[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 18 March 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 20 19:22:52 PDT 2019

On 3/20/19 6:05 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> You don't reakkt get ut di tiy (leaving an example of my dyspraxia) I
>> bet I could destroy a drive without checking my terminal typing
>> closely.
>>
>> You don't really get it do you,  I was there,  Jim showed up without a
>> computer due to other problems.  So there was one computer being used
>> to test downloaded, check-summed iso files written to Flash Drives.
>> There was no other user there to go online and check for various
>> drivers, etc.
> Then, there remains the other two possibilities that you are continuing
> to ignore as I repeat them multiple times -- which I can only now assume
> to be deliberate:
>
> 1.  Collect contemporaneous diagnostic information, and store it on a
> USB flash drive.  Later when you have Internet access again, post that
> information to enable helpers to find and fix the problem -- and help
> everyone learn.  Or:
>
> 2.  Collect the diagnostic infomation as above, then reboot your machine
> to a different OS load where you know Internet access works.  Then post.
>
> You keep ignoring (and talking past) those points -- yet, there they
> still remain.

     You still aren't paying attention to my previous replies.

>> When it will not boot collecting information via any tool seems a bit
>> beyond me.
> Do you know how to use pen and paper?  Last I heard, they don't even
> require batteries.  Do you know how to take a screen's picture using a
> smartphone camera.

     Currently and for the foreseeable future I have no smart phone thus
no smartphone camera
due to the paucity of funds experienced by most Social Security
recipients.  I chose to invest
instead in laptop computer on which to run Linux and into donations to
PCLInux to keep
those updates on the way.  I used to use my tablet for such occasions as
demanded a
picture but I do not carry it to the meetings or very far to anywhere else.
     I am fairly adept at pen and paper but the messages I got on the
problems
were so terse that i could not make sense of them.

>> 120 minutes is the length of a meeting,  I would rather drag my
>> problems home and try to fix them here where I have nearly 3 weeks to
>> discover the cures,
> I note that you apparently _didn't_ try to solve those problems, there
> or elsewhere.  Just 'didn't work, didn't work', and then no more about
> that except move on to next.

     Exactly put aside the non-working release and hope to find a
interesting distribution
about which you can say positive things.  Later if allowed time away
from typing replies
to people who find my reports lacking I may find the time to investigate
further.
Time is pressing even when I am alone at the computer and even at home.

> As I said, thing is, then nobody learns.  That's not learning Linux;
> that's just tourism.
>

>> I listen to the people who roll the distro and who get new kernels out
>> that work.
> Except when they say rely on lomanager?  ;->
>
> (I'm afraid to ask what kernels 'not working' is supposed to mean,
> but I suspect it doesn't mean much.)

     Some time back a new kernel was released and I installed it.  My
computer could not boot with
that kernel.

>> I am the one doing house calls.
> Have fun!
     Some but not too much,

>> No helpers at the meeting last week
> Just all over the global Internet.  But, at this point, you're back to
> studiously ignoring the point.  And good luck with that.

     You studiously ignore my points why not ignore the repetitive
advice you are happy to
gratuitously offer,

>> The matter is that while LO Manager will take care of the LibreOffice
>> sometime LibreOffice will demand specific updates.  Those updates must
>> be done with Synaptic(your choice would be apt I know).  But as I
>> mentioned the specific LibreOffice package to access cliparts and to
>> must be removed and Synaptic is how I did that.    Then if you want
>> Clipart you must install the updated package which has LO as a
>> dependency.
> If you want help, as I said, show, don't tell.  Otherwise, all you're
> doing is telling a story.

     Well you know if you don't pay attention to the story you learn
nothing.
     And I tell a concise story about updating the LibreOffice suite a
problem that arrises
and how I solved it,

>> And yet it was LO manager which told me to get a parcel of updates and
>> LibreOffice manager which told me to remove the file.
> Oh?  Show us.
     Why!  If you cannot read the story which explains concisely the
problem then
you cannot read the story.

> Post the command session.
It goes :
     start LibreOffice Manager
     enter the root password.
     Wait while LOM scans the installation
and decides that there is an update
but generates a long list of required
updates.
     Copy the list of updates to a temporary file,
     Startup the Synaptic entering root again
and Reload its current repository data.
     Marke the updates, Install the updates
startup the LOM again re-ente root password
and wait while it repeats its prior actions.
     LOM generates a single needed package
name.  go back to Synaptic and find the
package which cannot be installed as
LibreOffice 6.2.1 is listed as a Dependency.
     Remove the old package,
     Restart LOM and let it work.
     When LOM  is done working
     Start up Synaptic again.
     Install the updated package,
     Shut down or continue with other
work as you startup the other computer
and repeat the same steps.

> Otherwise, you're not serious about seeking assistance.  There are
> things that can be done about intractible package logjams, but we
> haven't gotten to that point, because you would need to start by
> _showing_.

*    I was not seeking assistance but relating how i resolved a problem,**
**    Since it was not in terminal format you did not bother to read it
apparently.*

>> Then come to the meeting and advise people or use the meetings to
>> lecture on the matters you find important.
> When I do come to meetings, I am delighted to -- as you know.
>
> If you find it inconvenient that I'm not all the way up in San Francisco
> personally, then you can come down to a CABAL meeting in Menlo Park, at
> my house.

     Oh if you lived in San Francisco you could attend the meeting more
often one supposes but
I had always wanted to visit the Menlo Park Install fests but sadly it
is beyond my range.
So have no fear I will ever be bothering you at home.

> If neither of those meets your exacting needs for in-person help, then I
> guess you will need to hire a consultant, because that is exactly what
> consulting is.  Be prepared to pay that consultant's hourly rate,
> usually with a two-hour minimum.

     Actually when I am not busy with replying to someone who cannot
read a story
I usually take my problems to the internet to find prior occurrences and
solutions.

>   But please learn to be less lengthy in your critical remarks as
> reading and replying to them takes me a lot more  time than it takes
> your to write them.
> Friend, I am not taking directions from you as to how to assist the
> Linux community, something that I've put a rather considerable
> amount of effort into over a period of twenty-six years, and to which
> I've devoted personal resources that include making possible this entire
> mailing list.

     No but you are addressing your lectures to me.
     I applaud the fact you are devoting substantial resources to the
mailing list
and I am sure you have done a great deal in the 26 years you have been at
promoting Linux.   When I was using Amiga I did something similar to
what i am doing now.  Other people setup Amiga BBSes and I contributed
to them financially when i could ill afford to do so, because I never had
enough resources to setup my own BBS.

> Every word I wrote upthread was intended to try to teach points to
> current and future members of the Linux community, and I happen to think
> I'm pretty good at it.  Which is more than can be said for your parade
> of 'didn't work'.

     Doubtless you are good teacher on such topics, *but the manner of
your address to your putative
students lacks a good deal.  (and I don't know why the editor decided to
start using bold face but
it is easier to read).

*
>>      I, not gracious?!
> Yeah, I was talking about the recent conduct of you, the one in the
> mirror.  But I wasn't offended, just amused about the sheer cheek of it.
> As I continue to be.

     And  I was attempting and failing as I so often do at light humor.

     And I am amused that an expert in Linux and one supposes other
systems has lost the ability to read a story that relates in one paragraph
how a problem was found and resolved.

     Constantly amused by young men who feel the need to instruct
the aged on matters of courtesy,  And yes I am likely 20 or 30 years
older than you are.  Further I was raised on farms in my childhood
and worked in my parents' restaurants later on and learned to
do some nursing care in my youth as well as radiation monitoring
and reactor chemistry.  I lost my positions in the 1960s because
in those days it was legal to fire anyone who was queer.  I
survived doing the best I could like the sister in the blues
song after my nursing jobs went away in the 1970s.

     When I was young computers were people who sat at
desks and did calculations for scientists.   Geeks were the
lowest level of carnival workers who might be displayed
in cages as they bit the heads off of live chickens Now
computers are machines and do the work for people like
myself who could never learn to type fast enough to find
work in that field.  And no geeks are required to bite
the heads off live chickens but may have to study
hard to keep up whatever geekery they espouse..

     Bobbie Sellers -    When I reminisce many people say
that I am living in the past and I can only agree because
the rent is so much cheaper there and my money as well
as myself goes so much further.