[sf-lug] iris.well.com is unknown (meta)

James Stockford jim at well.com
Thu Jan 10 10:27:37 PST 2019

Michael,
I did not create the subject Wifi woes,
someone else did that. For the subject
of the message to which you responded
I had written "iris.well.com is unknown".
(I don't know how '(meta)' got up there
in this message.) I have verified my claims
of the Subject by seeing such in my
Thunderbird Sent "folder".

See attached screenshot showing Subject and timestamp

On 1/9/19 11:36 PM, Michael Paoli wrote:
>> From: "James Stockford" <jim at well.com>
>> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] iris.well.com is unknown <---!!
>> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 22:43:16 -0800
>
>> The subject is "iris.well.com is unknown"
> Yes, because I changed the Subject: header.  These things don't happen
> by magic.  You responded and, ooh, almost by magic - but definitely not -
> by default ... you get the same Subject: header ... that I'd set.
JS: What do you mean "Subject: header"?

>> I did not mention "wifi" in the previous post.
>
> Your previous post started with:
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Wi-Fi woes
> So please explain to us all how that is not mentioning Wi-Fi/wifi.
> Not only is it mentioned, but it's mentioned first, and foremost -
> well before anything else, and before even *looking* at anything else.
> There's your opportunity to well and clearly specify what you wish to
> discuss or announce or such, and it says ... Wi-Fi woes.
> JS: I did not write that, someone else wrote that in lieu
> of a previous subject.
>
> Y' know, whole lot 'o folks actually look at the Subject:
> header, and it matters, many might look and see:
> Re: [sf-lug] Wi-Fi woes
> And think - I'd be more than happy to answer a relevant DNS question,
> but I'm sick of Wi-Fi cr*p ... [DELETE]
> And maybe the exact assistance you were looking for is a lost opportuntiy
> because you couldn't bother to update the Subject: header.
> It really gets annoying and tiresome after a while.
> Maybe I'll stop responding to messages - at least from some chronic
> offenders - that can't be bothered to reasonably update their
> Subject: headers
JS: I don't understand what you mean by "Subject: headers"(or "Subject
header");
is this technical terminology referring to some kind of email header that
has to do with the Subject field?

>> For sure it is not wifi because my laptop only
>> lets me use a wired connection to my internet
>> access device.
>
> Great, then don't have it under pretense of Wi-Fi.
I didn't.

> And also ...
> How many millions of people died in this disaster?
> Uhm, thousands?
> Okay, how many human fatalities?
> Uh, ... zero, eh?
> Serious human injuries?
> Serious risk to life/property/environment/species?  How many were at
> risk?
> I don't think I caught reference to it on the news, do you have a
> credible
> reference to such?
> Disaster, huh?
JS: For me, it's been a disaster, but for the last
couple of transmissions from me I have not
mentioned wifi.