[sf-lug] iris.well.com is unknown (meta)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 9 23:36:02 PST 2019

> From: "James Stockford" <jim at well.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] iris.well.com is unknown
> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 22:43:16 -0800

> The subject is "iris.well.com is unknown"
Yes, because I changed the Subject: header.  These things don't happen
by magic.  You responded and, ooh, almost by magic - but definitely not -
by default ... you get the same Subject: header ... that I'd set.

> I have not mentioned wifi in the previous post.

Your previous post started with:
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Wi-Fi woes
So please explain to us all how that is not mentioning Wi-Fi/wifi.
Not only is it mentioned, but it's mentioned first, and foremost -
well before anything else, and before even *looking* at anything else.
There's your opportunity to well and clearly specify what you wish to
discuss or announce or such, and it says ... Wi-Fi woes.

Y' know, whole lot 'o folks actually look at the Subject:
header, and it matters, many might look and see:
Re: [sf-lug] Wi-Fi woes
And think - I'd be more than happy to answer a relevant DNS question,
but I'm sick of Wi-Fi cr*p ... [DELETE]
And maybe the exact assistance you were looking for is a lost opportuntiy
because you couldn't bother to update the Subject: header.
It really gets annoying and tiresome after a while.
Maybe I'll stop responding to messages - at least from some chronic
offenders - that can't be bothered to reasonably update their
Subject: headers

> For sure it is not wifi because my laptop only
> lets me use a wired connection to my internet
> access device.

Great, then don't have it under pretense of Wi-Fi.

>>> From: "James Stockford" <jim at well.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Wi-Fi woes
>>> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:27:04 -0800
>>
>>> I've discovered another post-disaster symptom

And also ...
How many millions of people died in this disaster?
Uhm, thousands?
Okay, how many human fatalities?
Uh, ... zero, eh?
Serious human injuries?
Serious risk to life/property/environment/species?  How many were at risk?
I don't think I caught reference to it on the news, do you have a credible
reference to such?
Disaster, huh?

Maybe you want to try or switch to a different forum type, that's
typically significantly more tolerant of inaccurate and incomplete
submissions, e.g. much more interactive, such as IRC.
Many distros have support (also) via IRC, some/many of 'em even have
quite highly excellent support there.  Many of them also log, and save
and make that available continuously (or nearly so), or with (about)
daily updates of each day's log being posted (and sometimes the
saving and posting may or may not be something the distro does/supports,
sometimes other(s) add it as "feature").
Though for some such, on IRC, they might more-or-less expect folks to
first at least reasonably check the relevant resources/information
first (e.g. if you're hoppin' on to report and complain about a bug, and
haven't even bothered to check if it's a known reported bug, one may
typically expect such behavior to be frowned upon ... something much
more appropriate might be like asking some particular question about
a known reported bug that wouldn't really be appropriate for the
bug tracking, but that folks may be able to point to relevant resource
or information to get the question answered).