[sf-lug] thanks for the help

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 8 21:05:34 PST 2019

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> both Sunday, from Ken, Bobby, and John,
> and, hopefully, in subsequent emails.
>
> My Ubuntu 18.04 laptop was successfully
> using wifi until my wifi gizmo died, maybe
> with a last electronic shriek.

What the gehenna does the above mean?

Some identified wifi gizmo _died_?  What does 'died' mean in this
context?  What does 'electronic shriek' mean?  And what does the 'maybe'
signify in this context?  i.e., are you saying something happened, or
_not_ saying it happened?  Saying _maybe_ something happened tells your
readers nothing.

Whatever 'died' means, do you mean that you subsequently got and
installed a new one?  What's the new one?

Is the new one perhaps an Intel Wireless-AC model 9260-series
wireless/Bluetooth card in M.2 2230 physical format, one like this (as
suggested by your dmesg output)?
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-Ac-9260-2230-Gigabit/dp/B079QJQF4Y
My point is, you haven't even told us what the wireless hardware in
question _is_ (make and model), let alone why it should be surprising to
have a lack of functionality if something 'died'.

Maybe you should back up and start over, because the entire anecdote
starts out hopelessly confused.  Include a coherent account of what you
mean when you say that your gizmo 'died', please.

And, when you do that, you should consider writing a Subjet header more
descriptive than 'tahnks for the help'.

> I've got wired networking up, but not wifi. So far I've encountered
> only the unhelpful tips via the internet.

But you don't bother saying what the exact symptom is, or what you've so
far done to investigate,  except:

> When I use the settings feature for wifi,
> the system returns "No Wi-Fi Adapter Found
> Make sure you have a wifi adapter plugged and turned on"

Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you
say 'the settings feature for wifi', but I'm guessing that you're making
a vague reference to some GNOME DE thing (that gives nearly totally
useless problem feedback).

You should run iwconfig -- to see what interfaces are valid.

Just running through marginally relevant suggestions you find on
https://ubuntuforums.org/ is a poor substitute for diagnosis and
testing.

What wouldn't hurt is removing and then reloading the iwlwifi module:

$ sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
$ sudo modprobe iwlwifi