[sf-lug] thanks for the help : need help with wifi access

James Stockford jim at well.com
Wed Jan 9 12:05:53 PST 2019

info interspersed below.

On 1/8/19 9:05 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):
>
>> both Sunday, from Ken, Bobby, and John,
>> and, hopefully, in subsequent emails.
>>
>> My Ubuntu 18.04 laptop was successfully
>> using wifi until my wifi gizmo died, maybe
>> with a last electronic shriek.
> What the gehenna does the above mean?
>
> Some identified wifi gizmo _died_?
I should have written "doohickey" rather than "gizmo".
It was a hardware thing that's got Linksys written on it.
It is a router plus a four-port switch plus antennae for
a wifi access point, along with a dhcp server and other
software. I do not know the correct name for these
things. By "died" I mean is no longer electrically or
otherwise functional.
> What does 'died' mean in this
> context?  What does 'electronic shriek' mean?  And what does the 'maybe'
> signify in this context?  i.e., are you saying something happened, or
> _not_ saying it happened?  Saying _maybe_ something happened tells your
> readers nothing.
I'm saying that not only did my doohickey die, but my laptop's
ability to use wi-fi ceased, if not deceased. I'm guessing that
the death of the doohickey somehow created damage to my
laptop's networking software. The IP address for my laptop
changed from 192.168.1.something to 169.?.?.?
> Whatever 'died' means, do you mean that you subsequently got and
> installed a new one?  What's the new one?
Yes, I took the dead doohickey to Actnet Computer, on
Judah at 27th. They confirmed it was non-functional and
sold me a used similar doohickey that says Linksys on it
and works. Below "Linksys" is printed EA6900.
> Is the new one perhaps an Intel Wireless-AC model 9260-series
> wireless/Bluetooth card in M.2 2230 physical format, one like this (as
> suggested by your dmesg output)?
> https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-Ac-9260-2230-Gigabit/dp/B079QJQF4Y
> My point is, you haven't even told us what the wireless hardware in
> question _is_ (make and model), let alone why it should be surprising to
> have a lack of functionality if something 'died'.
I hope that's cleared up.
> Maybe you should back up and start over, because the entire anecdote
> starts out hopelessly confused.  Include a coherent account of what you
> mean when you say that your gizmo 'died', please.
>
> And, when you do that, you should consider writing a Subjet header more
> descriptive than 'tahnks for the help'.
>> I've got wired networking up, but not wifi. So far I've encountered
>> only the unhelpful tips via the internet.
> But you don't bother saying what the exact symptom is,
> JS: the symptoms are that my laptop does not show any
> wifi access points, none at all, and that using Settings
> and choosing "Wi-Fi" the information panel shows "No Wi-Fi
> Adaptor <CR> Make sure you have a Wi-Fi adapter plugged
> and turned on"
> The physical wifi components are built-in, probably on
> the motherboard. This is a ZaReason re-branded laptop that
> ZaReason labels it Ultralap 6440 i5"
>
> or what you've so
> far done to investigate,  except:
>

>> When I use the settings feature for wifi,
>> the system returns "No Wi-Fi Adapter Found
>> Make sure you have a wifi adapter plugged and turned on"
> Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you
> say 'the settings feature for wifi', but I'm guessing that you're making
> a vague reference to some GNOME DE thing (that gives nearly totally
> useless problem feedback).
>
> You should run iwconfig -- to see what interfaces are valid.
Thank you!

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

enp58s0f1  no wireless extensions.

wlp59s0   IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any
           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=off
           Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:on