[sf-lug] (forw) Fwd: A look at home routers, and a surprising bug in Linux/MIPS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 6 01:30:02 PST 2019

My thanks to Bobbie.

The first paper is about home routers in general, where the authors
picked 14 models recently reviewed by _Consumer Reports_, and found
their manufacturer-preload firmware-based OSes woefully deficient in
standard security-hardening techniques to make public-facing software
tougher to compromise,

The others' other paper concerns hardware-specific reasons why security
has a fixable weakness  on the subset of home routers based on
MIPS-family CPUs.  (Some were MIPS-based, others were ARM-based.)  These
deficiencies can be fixed if interested parties want to expend the
effort.

It's debatable how 'soft' a target home routers lacking these hardening
methods are, but the authors have a point that the techniques should be
included.

----- Forwarded message from Bobbie Sellers <bliss at mouse-potato.com> -----