[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday, January 6, 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jan 6 16:47:55 PST 2019

Hi LUGers,
     Well I hope you all stayed dry.
     It was a very active meeting.

     10:35 am I started setting up at a couple of the smaller tables as the
large table was occupied, and booted directly to Fat Dog 64 release
800 beta.
     Fat Dog is beta to which I ascribe all of the shortcomings I
experienced.  It did not want to connect to the WiFi and finally I gave
up on that.
     The file manager is opened by clicking on disk icons but does not
easily default to my preferred "details" view.  It has LibreOffice Writer.
and a host of other goodies but it is one of the most complete
releases in a cd sized release.
     It even has GSmartControl which is a very good tool if you have
had the same disk for awhile and need to check it for problems due
age or accident.
     It can also mount your system disk (if you are as I was) running
from ram.  This will help you repair some problems.
     When the final release is out I will re-evaluate and probably
recommend it to people who want a single CD release.

     At about 11 AM John S. came in and in his car, which was  parked
closer by than usual, he had a load of monitors, some Pentium 4 computers
and 2 possibly broken iMacs.
     John S. also wants to sell the current notebook he was using today.
He only wants $75 USD.  It seems to work well and he has multiple
systems installed including the MS program launcher, Zorin and i think
a couple of other systems.

     Ken S. and his wife Sunni were in and he and i briefly discussed the
Fat Dog.  Ken brought me two high quality chocolate bars to help with
my chocolate habit.  Thanks Ken!

     Joseph P. came in and carried along a flawless G4 iBook.  He is having
problems connecting to WiFi.  After some experimentation I found that for
the Cafe Enchante, he did not have WAP available.  I have suggested he go to
the SFPL and use an Internet cable to do some updates.  But Apple had
the style for the iBook down even back in G4 days.

     11:45 Tom showed up and he has learned to read about distributions
before he installs them.

     And I turned around and suddenly realized that the Anonymous Qubes
User  had shown up.
     So I experimented and found that the Qubes I had installed to the 64
GiB Flash Drive had no templates for the Fedora, Debian and Whonix systems
that make it so useful.

     About 12 Noon Jim Stockford showed up and his ZaReason Note Styler(?)
laptop had suffered some problems possibly from a recent kernel update.
     Ken S. immediately jumped to help him.

     So the meeting continued untll about 12:50 pm when Jim, Tom, Joseph
and John S. went out and before Jim left I learned that he needed WiFi
connectivity and that Ken who had left with his wife had said that Jim S.
needed a live boot.
     I also learned in passing that ZaReason had moved to Michigan!
Maybe that will help with prices. ;^)

     I did not then have Ubuntu on a Flash Drive but I did have a copy
of Ubuntu Studio and I was finally successful in getting it running and
online.  I had to show Jim the BIOS and it took both of us to get it
set to boot from the Flash Drive.  When it did boot getting it to get on
WiFi at the Cafe Enchante was easy.

     Jim, Tom and Joseph got back from moving the monitors, iMacs and
Pentium 4 computers from John's car to Jim's truck.  I showed Jim I had
gotten the WiFi up, Jim had met an old acquaintance and was bringing
them up to date.

     Since Jim had loads of stuff to move and two other passengers I left
about 1330 to catch a #38R back to my neighborhood.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     Happy New Year to all!

     The next meeting at Cafe Enchante will be on January 21 from 6-8 PM.

     Regular notice of the next meeting will be up on January 14 unless
something
strange happens.

     Hope all is well with your and your both people and computers

     Bobbie Sellers