[sf-lug] Mail problems (or Firefox, or systemd,...)

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:24:39 PST 2018

Anyone else having email problems?  Last month, systemd on my Ubuntu 18.04
stopped resolving mail.comcast.net.  No known changes on my part, not even
an update, it just stopped working, but none of the other sites I visit had
a problem.  Seems some longstanding issues with DNS on systemd, oh well,
not wanting to get too dirty under the hood (on an otherwise untouched
system), I just took the suggestion to redirect /etc/resolv.conf to the
/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf file instead of the .../stub-resolv.conf.
(pointing the nameserver to my router instead of 127.0.0.53). That  fixed
things, until my gmail through Firefox stopped working (on my 18.04, FF
phone and FF 16.04, & Chrome were still OK).  Most unhelpful error message,
"Sorry that didn't work try again".  Cleaned caches, history, etc.  No
fix.  Finally found a suggestion to turn off the blocking of trackers (was
only using the default basic stuff anyway) -- That did it, Google insists
now that my Firefox not block any trackers.  I'll look around to see if
there's any granularity on this, but I just saw a few checkboxes.  Sigh.
Ken