[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday, 17 December 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 10 19:27:49 PST 2018

Hi LuGers,

     The last meeting of 2018!

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   Added to the distributions library:

     4MServer-27.0-64bit.iso

     4MLinux-27.0-32bit.iso

     Both used to fit in a CD Now a DVD is required for each.

CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveKDE-1810.iso and some other
variations have been released.
CentOS is using KDE Plasma 4.14.8,
Linux kernel 2.1.0-957 ,
LibreOffice version 5 is supplied but not
LibreOffice Manager.
Updates supplied by yum, a tool run in terminal
It does use a late version of Dolphin for a file manager.
Firefox is supplied which is how I found out about yum.
     CentOS is an Enterprise Distribution Linux compiled
from the RedHat source code.  If the users are not savvy
they will need an IT to manage the system.
    One shortcoming is that the disk did not display the
UEFI alternative on boot.  I checked the disk and under /boot
we do have an /EFI   The best use is in business where
people are concerned about staying away from the cutting
edge.

     ==================================

December 5 at the Fog City News I was able to get
the Linux Pro December 2018 issue #217.

Distributions of the Month are both 64 bit
Debian 9.5 Gnome
Emmabuntüs

     Front Cover devoted to Innovative Distros!

⁕ Bohi -for a simpler Enlightenment
⁕ Heads -  anonymizing surfing even on old hardware.
⁕ Nitrux User Interface get creative on KDE
⁕ Qubes Lockdown security with the forcus on isolatiion.

     /proc Filesystem so that you can Window into a running system

     cheat.sh Syntax tips at your fingertips

     Upribox 2 Use a Rasp Pi to filter ads and trackers

     Git Workshop -working with remote repositories

      Purism Librem - Linux laptop (and phones) with special security
features

     LINUXVoice:
     ⁕ Astrology with OpenAstro
     ⁕ maddog - BSA and the real cost of proprietary Software
     ⁕ Usenet on the modern Internet

     FossPicks:
      °   Vocal Podcast Manager
      °   MVAW -Old-School BBS
      °   Leo Online Editor

     Tutorial:
      °    RSS Feeds

     And yet more than this.

     Hope to see some of us on Monday, 17 December 2018

     Bobbie Sellers