[sf-lug] Mail problems (or Firefox, or systemd,...)

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 20:53:07 PST 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM Ken Shaffer <kenshaffer80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone else having email problems?  Last month, systemd on my Ubuntu 18.04
> stopped resolving mail.comcast.net.  No known changes on my part, not
> even an update, it just stopped working, but none of the other sites I
> visit had a problem.  Seems some longstanding issues with DNS on systemd,
> oh well, not wanting to get too dirty under the hood (on an otherwise
> untouched system), I just took the suggestion to redirect /etc/resolv.conf
> to the /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf file instead of the
> .../stub-resolv.conf. (pointing the nameserver to my router instead of
> 127.0.0.53). That  fixed things, until my gmail through Firefox stopped
> working (on my 18.04, FF phone and FF 16.04, & Chrome were still OK).  Most
> unhelpful error message, "Sorry that didn't work try again".  Cleaned
> caches, history, etc.  No fix.  Finally found a suggestion to turn off the
> blocking of trackers (was only using the default basic stuff anyway) --
> That did it, Google insists now that my Firefox not block any trackers.
> I'll look around to see if there's any granularity on this, but I just saw
> a few checkboxes.  Sigh.
> Ken
>
> Well, the trackers fix was not permanent.  After adding three e-mail
accounts, and checking them, the original behavior was back after a
suspend.
I finally checked the noscript settings, and found google.com was not
trusted????  Set it to trusted, and things work again (even with the
tracker suppression).  I certainly haven't changed my no script trust
levels recently, so maybe Firefox is just tightening things up a bit.  Like
the web site that is no longer trusted because they used Thawte or another
unreliable certificate signer.   LIkely the case, but then why did fiddling
with the tracker button make things temporarily work???  It seems the older
I get, the less I understand. ;^)
Ken