[sf-lug] A short and simple survey1~

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Mon Oct 8 20:08:18 PDT 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com wrote at [1]:
other distributions than they have currently installed.

You can reply to me off the list if you don't want to write back to the
list.

Respond please if you are using a 32 bit machine and are at all interested
in changing distributions

Okay, I'll also respond.

o Question one: Are you using a 32 bit machine?

I sure am. They're netbooks and an older desktop PC, and they all
recognize USB sticks and external USB hdd's just fine.

o Question two: How much RAM memory do you have in your computer?

ComputerS plural.
The 32 bit netbooks max out at 2GB of RAM.
The older 32 bit desktop PC can "supposedly" use 4GB of RAM (but see
below)

o Question two: part 1. More than three Gigabytes of memory?

The installed Linux OS's on that 32 bit desktop PC will only recognize up
to 3 GB or thereabouts of memory even if 4 GB is physically installed and
recognized by the BIOS.

o Are you interested in changing the operating system on your computer
whether you use 32 bit or 64 bit machines?

I'm going ahead and making a distinction between changing the _installed_
OS on my 32 bit computers versus using various distros' bootable _live_
CDs or USBs on the same.

So.....
A. Medium to low interest in changing the _installed_ OS's on my 32 bit
computers --- my own personal preferences, though, continue to be for
systemd-free installed distros ;)
B. High interest in continuing to try out various liveUSB distros on these
32 bit computers

Note furthermore that
B' you (Bobbie S) have very helpfully provided me in the past with the
latest KNOPPIX liveDVD's, which I've succesfully used to create liveUSB
sticks that boot on _all_ my 32 bit computers :-)
B'' AntiX in its 32 bit x86 version has in the past worked fine as a
bootable liveUSB on these computers as well (as per Bobbie S's "planning
on bringing along the latest editions of Mageia 6.1, Anti-X 17.2 and
Calculate Linux 18" for next week's SF-LUG [2])

> Thanks for any on-topic responses.

You are welcome :-)
-A

[1]http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2018q4/013442.html