[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets on Monday October 15. 2018 at fhe Cafe Enchante at Geary & 26th Street

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Oct 7 18:06:56 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     By the time of the next meeting from 6-8 PM on Monday
October 15, at the Cafe Enchante from 6-8 PM I should have
some working DVDs and presently am planning on bringing along the latest
editions of Mageia 6.1, Anti-X 17.2 and Calculate Linux 18.

     I expect I may have the Linux Pro magazine in a later issue and
if the situation breaks that way I will let you know in a later message.

Mageia 6.1 will be in amd64 KDE Plasma 5 and in i586 with XFCE.
Mageia is a fork of Mandriva and it continues the Mandriva tradition
in having several Desktop Environments for download  but reserving
for the i586 versions a low resources Desktop Environment though
you could use the same desktop in the amd64 download.  That
should zip right along.  Gnome is another option but I think we
have Gnome enough with Canonical.

Anti-X is an x86 version, uses Flux-box and is under a gigabyte in size.

Calculate is using x86_64, KDE Plasma 5, Gentoo-based and is a
rolling release.  I will be getting the full desktop version but two
others are available. Quoting from the Distrowatch note:
Calculate Linux is a Gentoo-based family of three distinguished
  distributions.
Calculate Directory Server (CDS) is a solution that supports Windows
and Linux clients via LDAP + SAMBA, providing proxy, mail and Jabbers
servers with streamlined user management.
Calculate Linux Desktop (CLD) is a workstation and client distribution
with KDE, MATE or Xfce desktop that includes a wizard to configure a
connection to Calculate Directory Server.
Calculate Linux Scratch (CLS) is live CD with a build framework for
creating a custom distribution.
     If you want to read more about these releases I suggest starting
with the notes about them on <www.distrowatch.com>, where
you can also find the notes about Haiku's recent beta release.
I might call it a baited release as it may have been made to attract
attention from those who might help get it to a release candidate.

     If you are having problems let us know on the list and maybe we can
help you.  Sometimes someone who knows the solution will come just
to help or write to the list or privately to help you.
     Often we regular attendees can help find solutions if you get to
a meeting.  But starting with the list is best.

     So I hope I see some of you all on Monday in the evening of 15
October at the Cafe Enchante.

     Bobbie Sellers