[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday October 7th 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Oct 7 18:01:27 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

     Well the Sunday Meeting was not especially large but it was
lively!
     I got to the Cafe Enchante between 10:30 and 11 AM.  It was
full of people either coming from church or on their way to the
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival.  Before 11 the big table had
emptied.
     I had my computer online before 11:05 AM when Maestro arrived.

     11:10 Ken S and his wife Sunni arrived.

     11:11 John S. arrived with his splendid new computer an Asus
laptop with i7 and _*quad-density display. *_ No DVD R/W drive though.
This was important because the external USB 3.0 DVD drive he
brought was very slow loading.
     A good deal of time was spent by all in attendance in helping him
with setting up the external drive and at other points during the
meeting.
     John tried out Ubuntu 18.04.1 via Flash Drive after he got tired of
waiting on Neon to load.  Then I let him try out Xubuntu on a Flash
Drive and it loaded very fast.  But with Xubuntu there was a mis-match
between the screen display which came out in about a 2 point type
but he finally figured out how to reset the resolution.  It worked fine
when he reset the resolution to 15 year old standards.  This was
not a problem with the Ubuntu 18.04.1 supplied by Ken.

     Now I booted up Neon which is more or less of a display item
for KDE 5.13.5 which I find quite attractive in appearance on
initial boot up.  It took forever even on my old Dell e6520 but
so nice when it arrived.  Neon is based on Ubuntu and I am thinking
of adopting it as a secondary system to get access to some of
the tools that are on Ubuntu repositories.

     After i had shown off the pretty display to whoever wanted to
pay attention I dug out an old PCLinuxOS Full Monty to see it the
cheapo flash drive had retained its data.  It had but then I had
the opposite problem from the Xubuntu on the Asus.  I ended
up with a display of 1024 x 768 sitting in the middle of the display.
It likely could be adjusted in an installed copy but the Flash Drive
did not allow me to save any changes in settings.

     So I mailed the instructions on where to find the controls
to reset the Windows Fast Boot and where to shrink the
Windows installation to John S.  He was able to get this on
his Windows 10 install.  So when he is ready to go back to
a dual-boot install he has most of the information he will
need.

     12:35 PM  Jim S. showed up.

     12:40 PM Victor P. a new attendee showed up.

     He is running a Virtual machine using Linux on his Windows machine.
     Victor is interested in learning more programming and perhaps changing
his career.  He, Jim and Ken discussed this until it was time for Ken to
leave. Topics included C and all its derivative versions and Python and
how best to proceed in the quest for education and materials.
Victor lives closer to the meeting site than perhaps anyone but Jim.

     Now I remember that I talked about Galpon Mini and Haiku in the last
meeting notice.   Well neither booted on my e6520 and I mislaid the Haiku
DVD but brought the Galpon Mini along.  No one was fool enough to try it.
I would say that the Haiku project is not welcoming such user
observations unless you want to join the Forum or a developer
team apparently.

     1 PM I was packed up but did not hear Jim's remark to join him
across the street at his truck.  He gave rides to myself, Victor and another
member.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.
         Thanks to all who attended by the way and to Jim especially.

     Bobbie Sellers