[sf-lug] USB mic not working under 14.04

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 7 11:22:57 PDT 2018

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the offer of your script.  I tried to use it, but I think I made
> a huge mistake, because this is what I got, just a big mess.

Michael's usbidiff script just diffs the output of lsusb, before vs.
after connecting a USB device.  It tells you nothing you weren't getting
by using lsusb by itself, just with distracting irrelevant output
removed.

Originally, if I recall correctly, you described the problem as 'USB
microphone doesn't work under 14.04'[1] and, upon examination, you said
it wasn't registering with lsusb.  Then, if I recall correctly, you said
it actually is, but it's registering as something wrong, a USB audio
adapter.

You say everything appropriate happens with that same USB microphone on
a Chromebook, but haven't bothered to report what lsusb says on the
Chromebook, so to my knowledge it's impossible to intelligently comment
on that obervation.

> Rick, sorry for the fact that my pastes previously were wrapped, not
> sure how that happened, as they did not appear wrapped on my screen
> when I hit send.  Here is the output from running diff on the dmesg
> outputs before and after plugging in the microphone.  Hopefully it
> will not be wrapped, as it does not appear wrapped to me as I am
> sending it.

You're still doing it.  See for yourself:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2018q3/013413.html

Unfortunately, since you're outsourcing all control over your editing
environment to Google's hosted proprietary software, doing it right
almost certainly isn't within your grasp.  (I looked up what GMail is
doing, but don't want to get lost in the weeds discussing that here.)

But, anyway, back to the point:  What the hell was that pastebin dump?
Seems like a whole lot of junk that was _not_ usbidiff output.

Were you just floundering around trying random things, including
attempting to install it from apt repositories (and getting its name
wrong, too)?  Do you have absolutely no idea how to copy and paste a
provided shell script (verbatim, with no line splitting or joining)
to new ASCII text file /usr/local/bin/usbidiff, then do 'chmod u+x
/usr/local/usbidiff', and then run it?

If you were unclear on how to implement Michael's 'I really like my
usbidiff utility.  Run it.[...]', then you should have asked -how-, not
just thrashed around attempting random things at the console, hoping to
score a hit through random dumb luck.

But really, usbidiff is just a more-convenient way of getting the same
data you do by running lsusb, inserting device, running lsusb again,
noting changes.

[1] Making the silly assumption that choice and release number of Linux
distribution was relevant, but that's another topic.