[sf-lug] [Cool little check]

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 2 21:59:41 PDT 2018

RFC-1122:
"
             Every host MUST implement an ICMP Echo server function that
             receives Echo Requests and sends corresponding Echo Replies.
"

Standards matter - it's what makes the Internet work (among other things).
Now, you can play a bit loosey goosey ... but then all bets are off.

But - if one follows the standards, it's mandatory to reply.

So, yeah, disabling "ping" (responding to ICMP echo request with
ICMP echo reply) - not generally a good idea.
That however doesn't mean lots o' folks implement "not a good ideas"
on The Internet.

Some do better at generally following standards.
E.g. Google - yes, can ping Google on The Internet.
Many silly sites disable that.
Oh, and if you want to be more stealthy ... blocking ping (ICMP
echo request/reply) only hides a tiny part of layer 3,
if you want to hide layer 2 and be more stealthy,
try disabling ARP queries and replies ... good luck with that.  ;->
Heck, why not block all layer 2 packets - just drop 'em on the floor ...
ultimate stealth.  Have fun!  Whee!!!  ;->