[sf-lug] Overdrive books on Linux (was SF-LUG meeting notes)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 6 13:14:16 PDT 2018

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> As far as I know, Overdrive has always used Adobe DRM and EPUB
> format, which requires being able to run Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
> That's true even if you use DRM removal tools, which require ADE.

Yes, indeed.  Personally, I would make use of an MS-Windows installation
somewhere, on a one-and-done basis, to strip the DRM.  DeDRM Tools for
Calibre are covered here:  https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

(Folks, don't bootleg.  There's a legitimate use for de-DRM tools to
ensure your ongoing access to lawfully acquired content.  Don't use them
to rip off publishers.  IIRC, the DeDRM tools for Calibre, like many
others, watermark the resulting file with your access credential, in
part in order to discourage bootlegging.)

> And I suspect you're right about a variant version of Adobe.

I found a third-party claim to that effect in searching on this matter
last night, but would have to look around for that again to see the
claimed details.