[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday August 5, 2018

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 5 21:41:19 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Cafe Enchante is of value to me only twice a month.
> We charge no admission unlike the Worldcon.

Really?  You're seriously deprecating the worth of the World Science
Fiction Convention -- the _World_ Science Fiction Convention -- because,
for a four-day, almost 24-hour-a-day, all-volunteer-run, world-class
event where the freakin' annual _Hugo Award_ ceremony is held, there's a
membership fee to be a member of the community that does all that?

Good luck with that.

But since you insist on an utterly absurd, thumb-suckingly dumb
comparison:  There is no charge to enter San Jose's McEnery Convention
Center, either.  Just as with waltzing into Cafe Enchanté, you are only
required to pay money if you want to do business there.

> I read plenty of SF but I find rooms full of authors crowd my aura.

Obviously you've never been to a Worldcon.  And, almost certainly, you
never will.  Oh well, as Rosalind Russell's Auntie Mame said, 'Life is a
banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.'

> Take care, Rick and enjoy the convention.

Oh, the entire SFF-fan community will, from thousands of miles around,
which is to say, from everywhere, believe you me.