[sf-lug] Meeting notes, my wine overdrive setup

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:06:26 PDT 2018

Some questions at the sflug meeting arose about the installation of the
Overdrive book reader under wine.  My home installation has both wine and
wine64. The ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi I used was from 2012, so older than the
current download.  Probably pre Windows 8, so the generic download for
Windows is probably the one to use.  I typically use Overdrive on a tablet
for the odd library book not in Kindle format, so don't have experience
with the desktop version, other than to say it runs.  Attempts at the
meeting to install the msi all failed, not sure why, unless the newer
version simply no longer run under wine.

The actual executable name is MediaConsole.exe, a 32 bit version in the
"Program Files (x86)" directory.  The below is the icon command which I use
to invoke the reader.
  env WINEPREFIX="/home/kshaf/.wine" wine-stable C:\\Program\ Files\
\(x86\)\\OverDrive\ for\ Windows\\MediaConsole.exe

Another question about the zoom webinar program -- there's a deb file to
download, and install the usual way with
sudo dpkg -i filename.deb
Ken