[sf-lug] Food for thought

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 2 16:46:59 PDT 2018

Quoting Tom Turner (seameadowlake at gmail.com):

> https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

Skimmed it.  Think I've encountered it a few times before.  (Author
Artem S. Tashkinov has been saying versions of this for a decade or
more.)

It's extremely detailed but relies on quite a lot of non-sequitur
arguments and expectations that Linux distributions would be perfected
if only they would do things that require abandonment of open source and
a permanent switch to a proprietary model, i.e., Tashkinov's norm is
MS-Window and MacOS X, so everyone else should be just the same so that
there is excellent integrated proprietary driver support for Nvida video
chips, etc., etc., tra-la.

There are lots of laughs in the laundry list of 'Hey, I insist on this
because I'm used to Windows' items, like:  Oh noes!  Adobe Flash video
clips sometimes have problems!  Sell the farm, Mabel!  It's an
emergency.

   5. Problems stemming from the vast number of Linux distributions:
   [...]

This is a _whole_ category, the sum and substances is:  Oh noes!  There
is more than one Linux distribution and they're not all completely
identical in how they are configured and operate.  My poor little brain
hurts!  Everyone should all be issued the same standard operating system
and have it always work the same way, as I, Artem S. Tashkinov, am used
to.

I don't think I'm going to spend more time plowing through the thing.

(OCD people need hobbies, and it's nice that Tashkinov has one.)