[sf-lug] Xsane can't see an HP Laserjet 1536dnf MFP scanner / printer

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 21:56:04 PDT 2018

Hi,

I had a very curious problem that I solved and wanted to share with others
here.  I was trying to scan from a desktop computer running Lubuntu 14.04
using an HP Laserjet 1536dnf MFP scanner / printer.  The problem was that
when I activate the xsane program, it said no devices available.

I have used this same printer on a notebook computer running the exact same
operating system and have scanned with it successfully just today.  So the
HP laserjet is proven to be good, as is the cable connecting it to the
desktop computer. I have also connected the cable to a known good USB port
on the desktop computer (the same port that I am using to mouse to type
this email).

I have also been able to configure the printer and print a test page from
the desktop computer, so the computer itself can see the printer!!!!  It is
just Xsane that was not able to connect with the printer for some reason.

It turns out that the problem was a proprietary driver.  I actually went
through a long dance of using the terminal to install the HPlip driver, and
then saw farther down on this page that I could have installed it using the
GUI, as opposed to downloading the driver from the HP website.  So I guess
the moral of the story is that whenever you need a package, go first to
your GUI or CLI installer, rather than downloading it from a third party
website:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2273301

--
Christian Einfeldt