[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday August 5, 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 30 13:15:29 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

    SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

      These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

Additions to the Distribution Library:
Scientific Linux 6.10 x86_64 as DVD1 and DVD2  I tried to
put this on a Flash Drive as the DVD DL version.  The
install script loaded from the USB Flash Drive could not
find itself.
I tried again with a DVD R DL but it could not pass its own
media check which may be a hardware problem of mine.
I was able to check DVD1 and DVD2 and both passed.

PCLinuxOS64-TDE-2018.07 which was booted up and looks
very nice,  I put it on a Flash Drive and got the same results.
TDE stands for Trinity Desktop Environment and this is
the result of the fork of the old KDE 3.5.10 some years
ago.  It is not quite as configurable as KDE's Plasma 5
in its current incarnation.  It does have a good set of
software from LibreOffice to the games and nothing
is missing even including such popular tools as
KWrite, Kate, and Dolphin.

      Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS has been released.
    I will have it, Lubuntu and Ubuntu Mate in
   amd64 and 386 versions  and Kubuntu amd64
at the meeting.  If someone wants the Ubuntu
Server version let me know asap and I will
get it.

      Checksums have been run on all the
mentioned distributions and variants.

      ==================================

Found Linux Pro magazine at the Fog City News on Wednesday
18 July, issue 212 for July 2018.

The DVD this month contains Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit and
Kubuntu 18.04 LTS 32 bit and both are Bionic Beaver.

      Cover dominated by Internet of Things Tools for
home automation.  Eclipse Tool for IoT projects
      Bluetooth Tricks to track movements in your house.
      Linux on Old Hardware,  Oldies but Goodies tells us
how well older can use modern Linux in the form of
Debian derived Q4OS with later Desktop Environments.
13 to 8 year old machines were used.

(graphic) Tablets on Linux configured using xsetwacom

      Inside I found an Interview with Jim Perrin where the
complex relationships between CentOS, Fedora, RHEL by
Swapnil Bhartiya.

      A report on the new Raspberry Pi 3 B+
      Python Gambling  Simulating games of chance
      Logism - designing and drawing digital circuits

      In Linux Voice: FOSSPicks: GnuCash 3 and XLEngine
      Tutorial: for Recoil a new search tool and Minetest how
user designed customizations create gaming worlds.
       Mermaid: lets you create diagrams using simple commands
       maddog: Government paranoia about encryption.

       soundKonverter and fre:ac which are tools (they say)
   for ripping audio CDs.

       In Zack's Kernel News he talks about NOVA a new filesystem
   for SSD, Making System Calls Userspace Only, and Extending Module
   Support to Plain Executables.  The NOVA sounds interesting and
System Calls in Userspace only is an attempt to plug security holes.

      And there is a lot more in the magazine than I have mentioned
above.

      Hope to see some of us at the next meeting a week from yesterday.

      Bobbie Sellers