[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday July 1, 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 1 16:50:50 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

     Well it was not a large meeting but an interesting one.
     I came in about 10:30 am and had no real problems with my setup
of the Dell E6420.  I even got some updates done to my PCLinuxOS64.

     11:00 am Ken Shaffer and his wife came in.
     Ken had his Asus netbook and an Intel Compute stick setup to
run from a cell phone battery pack.   He is setting up the Compute
stick for a friend but today he used it to connect via WiFi to the
Asus netbook and was able to move programs over the link.
That use as wireless server was very interesting.

     About 11:20 Tom came in with an older notebook setup with
the always colorful MS program launcher and aside from eating
lunch he was interested in advice on install Ubuntu there as
a dual book.   Tom stayed behind to work on that setup after
lots of advice from myself and Ken.

     About 12:20 Jim Stockford came in to over look our efforts,
eat and read a Linux Pro magazine.  Jim got a copy of Ubuntu
18.04.

     So once again I tried to demonstrate the new bootable
disk of AudioVideo Tools called "isotester-avl32-2018.6.25.iso"
but I could not get it to book up on the Dell.  That is it got to
the login and I enter isotester for user and avl32 it said to
choose a session from F1 and on doing so I got Xfce Session
but just the words printed to the screen and no further.

     I also had Mint 19 Mate for x86_64.   It works fine.

     KaOS-2018.06-x86_64.iso brings the latest KDE Plasma
to the display and what a display.  The distinguishing feature i
s a task bar on the right side of the screen.
     It is a good distro but PCLinuxOS64 remains my choice.
KDE has restored a copy-able clock with time and day
to the digital clock on the task bar in the last round of updates
to Plasma 5.13.1.

     Quick-Save-Live V4.0 is a very small single purpose distribution
which is <40 Megabytes.  It boots up rapidly, mounting all connected
drives. The screen is a dual pane file manager intended to move
files from trashed partitions/drives to storage.  It cannot handle
encrypted partitions.

     I made sure Tom had the GParted disk, the latest Rescue Tux,
and Boot Repair disks.
     Jim Stockford was kind enough to give me a ride home.

     The next meeting will be on Monday July 16, 2018 at the Cafe
Enchante from 6-8 PM.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     Bobbie Sellers