[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday April 21, 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue May 22 15:58:06 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

     Well not too many of us showed but still we were
at capacity crowded about the big table.
     I got to the meeting early as a member had said that
they would be there early and needed help.

     So I arrived about 5 PM and John S. had preceded me.
     John had brought in the HP-laptop which he had gotten
at a yard sale and I got him to try a few distributions on
it including Porteus 4.0, Knoppix 8.2 and Ubuntu Kylin 18.04
CentOS 7-KDE-1804, Debian 9.4 and maybe a few others.
He had brought in the machine in hopes that Tom might be
interested and Tom was.  We briefly discussed his work and
how he got no reports from higher level ITs about how they
resolved problems.  He has recommended that this policy
be altered so that the Level 1 ITs know what is happening
when problems are fixed.

     Shortly after 7 pm John S. left for more inviting activities

     I wanted to see what Deepin was like so I had
installed it to the Dell to boot with either PCLOSOS64
  or Deepin 15.5.   I showed it off to John S but no one
else seemed interested.
     Gave out more than one copy of  Knoppix 8.2.
     You might note that I mention not only Deepin but
Ubuntu Kylin above.  It seems to me that anyone living
in the Richmond district or nearly anywhere in San Francisco
might see having copies of this for newcomers, exhange
students or visitors from Asian nations who might find
these interesting.

     6 pm Mikki M. arrived with her big notebook computer
on which she does a lot of work.  I showed her how to
reset the filters on her online account and tried to show
her where to find the information she needed to move
to another ISP.  From a message today it seems we fixed
the spam filtering.
     She also talked about her need to be able to use
Windows as she wants to do digital microscopy and the
particular 'scope which Mikki wants to use.  She showed
me a picture of it in her gallery and it is an impressive
piece of kit.

     About 6:10 pm Maestro showed up with his machine.

     6:50 pm Tom arrived and after a brief demonstration he
took the machine off John's hands.

     Later I helped him to get on line with the Windows installation
on the HP Laptop.  Much more difficult than with any of the
Linux distributions I had tried over the weekend.  The final
trick to my solution was to hit the proper key and turn on the
WiFi card.

     About 7:30 Mikki left and it took two different transit agencies
and buses to get her home by 9:30 pm.  She is really dedicated
to travel so far and spend 4 hours on the bus.   I only spend
about an hour riding and the bus riding is nearly as tiring
as other exertion for me.

     Well Tom and Maestro were still enjoying the WiFi access as
I left about 8 p.m

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante will be from 11 am
  to 1 pm on June 3, 2018

     Don't forget Memorial Day on Monday, June 28th.

     Bobbie Sellers