[sf-lug] test

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 19 19:59:47 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Mikki has likely never heard about that test list.

I posted that information not to be critical but rather to provide
information.

FYI, it's useful to check on mailing list machines' information Web
pages, in that you will often find that the listadmins have created a
mailing list called 'test', there.  Examples:

(Hey, Michael P., we should probably create one at
https://lists.balug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo, now that we control
BALUG's mailing list infrastructure, again.)

> She has been having problems with Earthlink rejecting mailing
> list postings not only from our mailing list but one connected
> to her city hall.

Don't think so.

FYI, I've just checked the SMTP server logs at linuxmafia.com, and there
have been zero rejections of outbound mail to mikkimc at earthlink.net
during the time span covered by the currently retained mail logs.
During that same period, there have been 67 successful deliveries to
Mikki's ISP for her address.

If Earthlink had been (recently, at least) rejecting mail from
linuxmafia.com addressed to Mikki's Earthlink address, it would have
turned up in my grep of the mail logs.

I'm curious how Mikki knows (specifically) that Earthlink has been
_rejecting_ said mailing list mail?  That's actually not the same as
Mikki just not finding them in her inboes.  In my experience, mail often
ends up in undesired locations after delivery to the ISP, either because
the ISP did that (e.g., tucked it into a spambox or otherwise concealed
or discarded it) or because user filtering/processing did so.

Logically, the only people who can know that Earthlink has been refusing
linuxmafia.com mailing list mail are the people with access to
Earthlink's SMTP logs, and my SMTP logs.

--
Cheers,                         "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog --
Rick Moen                       unless you type 'woof, woof, woof'."