[sf-lug] [1.1.1.1]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 6 17:00:00 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>     While on a good day I might manage to do so but look at the group
> I am citing. Extrapolating from the problems some Ubuntu users have
> had recently that have barely been mentioned here and it is unlikely
> that most would be comfortable attempting the feat of setting up their
> own recursive DNS server.

Didn't I have this exact same conversation with Jim Stockford, right
here, a few years ago, where he made the same assuption that it would be

  Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:10:35 -0700
  From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
  To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
  Subject: Re: [sf-lug] resolver problem

  Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at systemateka.com):

  > I've spent time, occasionally, looking through pages of search engine
  > results and other sources trying to learn how to set up a DNS server.
  > There's lots of info, but what I've seen does not give me what I need
  > to do the job.

  That would be for _authoritative_ nameservice[1].  For _recursive_
  nameservice, you do exactly this:

  1.  Install nameserver package.
  2.  Start the daemon.
  3.  Tell clients to consult it (line in /etc/resolv.conf,
  most often sent to the client by your DHCP setup).

  > What I'd like to know is what software to get and
  > what configuration files to create on the server side
  > so that a client request to resolve a domain name gets
  > access to the requested server.

  For a recursive nameserver, none required.  It just works.
  You turn it on; it goes.  There's nothing that needs adjusting or
  administration.
  [...]

It's all in the archives, but I notice that, five years on, we're still
stuck at the same place.