[sf-lug] [1.1.1.1]

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 6 15:51:51 PDT 2018

On 04/06/2018 03:26 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> Hi Maestro and the rest of the LUGers,
>>
>>      On Usenet in alt.os.linux.ubuntu there is a long thread about this.
>> The bench testers have determined that the only advantage may
>> be the simple entry of 1.1.1.1 which is no simpler than 8.8.8.8.
>> The so- called "CloudFlare" DNS site is no faster than many others
>> and slower than some.  It may be simply another user data collection
>> scheme.
> You know what's faster and a great deal more privacy-protecting than
> either of those?  Just have a local recursive nameserver of one's own --
> which is very simple to do.

     While on a good day I might manage to do so but look at the group
I am citing. Extrapolating from the problems some Ubuntu users have
had recently that have barely been mentioned here and it is unlikely
that most would be comfortable attempting the feat of setting up their
own recursive DNS server.  There are a lot of more informed and
accomplished Ubuntu users but the stuff i am reading is telling
me more about how happy I am to be using a "rolling release"

     Lately I have been using up all my good days on the ephemeral
matters attending everyday life.  Today I am barely competent
to report the Wordpress problem.
     And if anyone is connected to a Wordpress account have you
fixed your password and done your security updates?  If any
reader wants more about this write me.

     I remember starting to set up my local recursive DNS server
back when I was using Mandriva.  I don't remember what
happened but I was probably distracted and tired as I
am today.  But back in Mandriva days I did not have the
pain-killer I am using today  so maybe I will look up
the procedure and try again.  Not today though on
4 hours sleep.

     Thanks for the reminder, Rick.  If I do this I can
tell the people who don't seem to realize that
Cloudflare is also a specific malware about setting
it up or point them to the instructions I can find.

     Bobbie