[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting Sunday + a bit more

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 28 19:10:39 PDT 2017

Points I may have missed.

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Thanks for that information but a lot of the old Mandriva stuff must
> be obsolete or superseded by now and I would look at Mageia
> repositories first.

It should have been obvious from context that I _meant_ Mageia repos.  I
often don't have time to remind myself about the comings and goings of
desktop distros, and the Red Hat Linux -> Linux-Mandrake -> Mandrake
Linux -> Mandriva -> Mageia renaming/reorganising progression was rather
far from my consciousness when I wrote that.

I expect you knewwhat I meant, right?

> When I have time.

To recap, you were saying that a bunch of the Web browsers I list at
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/kicking.html#linuxbrowser 'are not
available in the PCLinuxOS64 repositories'.  I'm sure that's true,
but my point was that many are probably trivially available from
compatible external repos with next to no effort.  You're welcome.

> Thanks again for the tip.

No problem!

[Google Chrome:]

> Well I mention it because PCLinux put that in the main iso rather than
> Firefox.  When I saw that I immediately started Synaptic and
> downloaded Firefox.

Good idea.

> I guess it has been some time since I saw Chromium but it would
> probably be a much better choice than Google Chrome.

It's OK.  Worth the disk space, IMO.

> Maybe some people have too much to do to get into the details of the
> problems with Google Chrome and the differences between it and
> Chromium.

Makes sense.