[sf-lug] News on some less "mainstream" distros

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Sep 17 13:41:52 PDT 2017

As a reminder, I recently and previously wrote [01] about various distros
with different desktops. Some Hopeful news and Questionable news on some
of these, at least those I've recently seen so far.

Some hopeful news is that the systemd-free Devuan distro [02] is at least
"planning" to come out with its Debian Stable/Stretch and Testing/Buster
equivalents fairly soon. Devuan Ascii is similar to Stretch and is "In
development", and Devuan Beowulf (intentional use of the same name as the
Linux Beowulf clustering-management technology [03] ?)  is similar to
Buster and is "Coming soon".

Also several pieces of what are to me Questionable distro news.

LinuxBBQ which I mentioned before in [01], is now recommending BORK! "an
openbox minimal spin" [04]. That's unfortunate, b/c there is the usual
meaning of "bork" in the tech world [05] to mean "Irreversibly damaged".
Is LinuxBBQ's BORK! implying that if one installs this, it _may_ bork your
machine according to this definition?? Ouch!

Partially quoting a recent Devuan mailing-list posting [06]
~~~~
..If you want sans-systemd that's rolling release, you have no shortage:
Void, Funtoo, Gentoo. Devuan is the only committed sans-systemd that is
version-release. Why would anyone want to change that?

If you like rolling release, why not switch to Void or Funtoo?
~~~~

IIRC, I previously mentioned Void Linux [07] in an SF-LUG post from three
months ago here[08].  Advantages for both Devuan and Void Linux are that
they have _multiplatform_ installation releases for architectures _other
than_ just the current "gold standard" x86-64/amd64 (see [09] and [10]
respectively), e.g., for 32bit x86 and RPi3's ARM. This newfangled,
systemd-free, and gentoo-based Funtoo Linux [11], OTOH, currently lists
_only_ 64bit, non-ARM installation releases[12]. To me, that fact of being
stuck in "Betahood" seems to be a decided deficiency, and calls into
question how successfull this systemd-free distro will be.

All this is my opinion only.
Please feel free to contribute your own.

-A