[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday August 6, 2017

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Thu Aug 3 10:45:59 PDT 2017

Now that this past week's heavily-trafficked "NEED INFO ABOUT BOOT
SECTOR...", "dpkg -l...", shell-fu and maillist-admin threads are ebbing a
wee bit (see the mailing-list's Archive referenced at [01])......

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>:

> And just today and last night downloaded latest
> SystemRescue, Clonezilla and 4MLinux should have
> them on CDs before the next meeting.
>
> But earlier got the stuff listed below.
>
>    Mageia-6-i586-DVD.iso  using KDE's Plasma 5
>
>    Mageia-6-x86_64-DVD.iso using KDE's Plasma 5
>
>    netrunner-1706-64bit.iso using KDE's Plasma 5
>
>    pclinuxos64-kde5-2017.07.iso using KDE's Plasma 5
>    community-pclinuxos64-tde-2017.06.iso Uses Trinity DE,
>  a fork from the old KDE 3.5.9.  Installed on my Dell laptop
>  it looks better than as a Live Distro.
>
>    community-pclinuxos64-kde5-darkstar-2017.07.iso using KDE's Plasma 5
>
>    xerus64-8.2.iso which is Quirky (Puppy)(so far no time to boot it
>  up to see what it looks like)

Not cross-posting here (although likely cross-referencing and most
certainly heavily-referenced in general), but the end-of-July's BALUG
thread 'Linux Mint 18.2' [02] has some discussion of Lubuntu, Linux Mint
18.2, LXDE, XFCE, LXQt and Bodhi Linux's Moksha desktop[03]; the latter of
which Rick M and one or two others have previously recommended [04].

Someone recently mentioned in passing a relatively unknown Linux distro
from China called LinuxBBQ [05] -- based upon Debian's Unstable/Sid --
which supposedly has "no fewer than 53 window managers - everything from
aewm to xmonad" [06]. Included within all those desktop environments and
window managers (at least as the _LinuxBBQ documenters_ define it :-|
[07]) are AfterStep, Awesome, Blackbox, Cinnamon, Enlightenment, Fluxbox,
flwm, FVWM, IceWM, ion, JWM, KDE, LXDE, MATE, Openbox, pekwm, Ratpoison,
WMaker, Xfce.

As related to LXQt...
According to that selfsame "Window Managers" page [07] there is supposedly
support for the Razor-qt desktop [08], but as I couldn't reach the
webpages linked from [08], I think that the current iteration of Razor-qt
is LXQt instead [09]. Those wishing to use the LXQt desktop for LinuxBBQ
would have to 1st grab one of the year 2016 or 2017 Linux BBQ ISO's from
its SourceForge repo [10] and then post-install the appropriate LXQt
Unstable/Sid packages from [11].

As related to Moksha...
Also, there is no direct availability of Bodhi Linux's Moksha desktop[03]
for LinuxBBQ, although there _is_ a webpage for the LinuxBBQ Enlightenment
window manager [12], so it _may_ be possible to install the Moksha-related
but inferior Enlightenment/E17 onto LinuxBBQ. If someone really wants
_just_ the Moksha desktop on LinuxBBQ (w/o E17 itself) and doesn't mind
putting in extensive effort, they may have to 1) adapt Bodhi Linux
maintainer Jeff Hoogland's instructions at [13] for Unstable/Sid or 2) go
through the necessary steps at Jeff Hoogland's GitHub repo for moksha [14]
to get it running. More advanced LinuxBBQ people who would want to try out
the latest Enlightenment WM post-E17 would likely have to extract one of
the most recent tarballs from [15] and then build that version of
Enlightenment from source.

And that last point brings me to my conclusion about LinuxBBQ...
IMHO from what I've seen at its homepage [05], its 'About' page [16] and
its 'Forums' pages[17], it seems to me that LinuxBBQ is primarily targeted
for technically-proficient Linux "technohip" teens + twenty-something
males. I don't know, maybe LinuxBBQ is seen by this particular crowd as
one of the "uber-awesome" alternatives to Manjaro [18] or Arch Linux
[19][20] ??

Would be interested to hear what thoughts others of you have on this
LinuxBBQ distro.

-A