[sf-lug] Keep Border Patrol and HS agents out of your computing devices

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Apr 12 09:05:11 PDT 2017

On 04/11/2017 10:41 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> NBC News just reported that border agents are forcing their way
>> into Americans' phones at skyrocketing rates – with no warrant –
>> and trolling through our personal information.
> This April 4 article?
> http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/what-if-u-s-border-agents-ask-your-cellphone-n742511
>
> This March 13 article?
> http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-adult-children-slain-san-bernardino-teacher-left-heartbroken-n745121
>
> I can't find an article NBC News 'just reported', unless 'just' means a
> bit over a week ago or a month ago.
>
>> They are requiring people to give passwords to the devices.
> They have no power to require that of US citizens re-entering the USA.
> Non-citizens are potentially a different story.
>

> FYI, this matter got briefly addressesd on the SVLUG list last month.
> You might find some of that interesting.
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2017-March/062373.html
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2017-March/062374.html
>
> Note links to extremely informative EFF help:
>
> https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017
> https://www.eff.org/files/2017/03/10/digital-privacy-border-2017-guide3.10.17.pdf
> (same, but as downloadable PDF)
> or URL-shortened version at
> https://www.eff.org/border-search
>
> Handy print-and-fold pocket guide is here:
> https://www.eff.org/files/2017/03/08/border-guide.pdf

     For some reason Thunderbird does not want to quote this
post.  I had to copy and paste as quotation.

     I did not see the original item which may have been only
a brief moment on TV.
Searching on "Warrantless searches by border agents" I came up with
this,
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/26/border-agents-warrantless-cellphone-searches-alarm/>

     Sorry the original solicitation for support did not contain a
reference URL or
of course it would have been included in my copy of the post to our
mailing list.
Because I am pretty sure this is an item of interest to many on the list
I copied the
same thing to another other mailing list and to CUCUG for publication by a
friend there.

     Bobbie Sellers aka bliss "running fast and light" on
PCLinuxOS64-2016.03
GNU/Linux 4.10.9-pclos1 #1 SMP Sat Apr 8