[sf-lug] Keep Border Patrol and HS agents out of your computing devices

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 11 22:41:49 PDT 2017

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> NBC News just reported that border agents are forcing their way
> into Americans' phones at skyrocketing rates – with no warrant –
> and trolling through our personal information.

This April 4 article?
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/what-if-u-s-border-agents-ask-your-cellphone-n742511

This March 13 article?
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-adult-children-slain-san-bernardino-teacher-left-heartbroken-n745121

I can't find an article NBC News 'just reported', unless 'just' means a
bit over a week ago or a month ago.

> They are requiring people to give passwords to the devices.

They have no power to require that of US citizens re-entering the USA.
Non-citizens are potentially a different story.

FYI, this matter got briefly addressesd on the SVLUG list last month.
You might find some of that interesting.
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2017-March/062373.html
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2017-March/062374.html

Note links to extremely informative EFF help:

https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/03/10/digital-privacy-border-2017-guide3.10.17.pdf
(same, but as downloadable PDF)
or URL-shortened version at
https://www.eff.org/border-search

Handy print-and-fold pocket guide is here:
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/03/08/border-guide.pdf