[sf-lug] distro for an ageing laptop

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 25 08:12:17 PDT 2017

On 03/25/2017 07:49 AM, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2017-03-24 20:11, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):
>>
>>> I've got an old IBM t41. The current version of Ubuntu no longer
>>> runs on it.
>>
>> Because of what?  Amount of RAM?  It would be useful if you could state
>> how much RAM the machine has.
>

> I could only find one memory slot and the memory card in it has two
> sides each with eight square components.  There is a label on each
> side.  The two labels are not identical but both indicate 1GB.  It's a
> bit ambiguous in that one might interpret it as indicating that there
> are 1GB on each side for a total of two although it seems to me more
> likely that I have 1 GB.
> So I think the answer is 1GB
>
> Currently there's no OS on it so I can't use /proc/meminfo.

     Bring it to the meeting on April 2 or get in touch with me via
private e-mail and
i will try to provide you with either a CD/DVD or Flash Drive with
an appropriate OS.
     This is why I try to keep people up to date with various bootable
utility disks
so that when the need arises they will have the simple tools they need.
Knoppix is very useful in this regard as it comes with both 386 & x86_64
kernels.

     Bobbie Sellers